(LIMPOPO) – Barloworld’s investment in communities where it operates remains a lasting part of the group’s legacy. As part of its Barloworld Equipment business, the group has partnered with Venetia Mines by investing in education to inspire a world of difference in the communities of Limpopo.
The various initiatives undertaken include:
- Addressing water shortage challenges: In partnership with Mogalakwena Platinum Mine, Barloworld has provided a water tanker to address water shortages experienced by the Mogalakwena mining community as a result of the ongoing drought.
- Building the foundation to support learning: Barloworld and the Palabora Mine is consulting with affected stakeholders about investing in the building of primary school classrooms to support education in the Boelang community of Phalaborwa.
- Educating young girls about career opportunities: To ensure that girls remain empowered and exposed to career opportunities, the Techno Girls Programme gave 10 girls studying maths and science an opportunity to see the careers available within the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) stream. Barloworld Equipment provided job shadowing opportunities for 10 girls, including beneficiaries from the Capricorn district of Limpopo.
- Helping Mabotha Secondary School become tech-savvy: Mabotha Secondary School in Ga-Kibi village was given a computer laboratory to improve the quality of education that is being provided to learners. The donation included free wi-fi access for a year. The initiative is intended to benefit the entire community and is self-sustainable.
- Using technology to improve learning: Barloworld provided ‘smart boards’ to Musina Primary School. These ‘smart boards’ use the influence of technology to improve learning outcomes for learners.
Education remains a key focus for Barloworld to build the capacity of learners and lay a firm foundation for these future leaders. Noluvo Ngcwabe, Head of CSI at Barloworld: “At Barloworld we strongly believe that education can transform our society. Investing in education always brings out the best in people, and that’s why Barloworld is proud to support the communities of Limpopo to help build a legacy that will be inherited by future generations.”