September 21 is World Clean-Up Day – the biggest one-day civic action against waste in human history!
Here’s what went down last year in South Africa…
World Clean-Up Day also coincides with International Coastal Clean-Up Day and marks the culmination of our own national Clean-Up and Recycle Week.
This year, in support of this important date on the green calendar, SA’s PET plastic bottle recycling oversight organsition PETCO will be joining partners Plastics SA for the annual Robben Island Clean-Up.
Here are 3 ways in which you can be part of World Clean-Up Day…
1. Join one of the co-ordinated clean-ups in your area (see the list below)
2. Take a stroll in nature or around your neighbourhood and pick up whatever litter you can. Then simply pop the recyclables into a bag and hand it in at your nearest recycling drop-off site.
3. Follow our progress on Instagram and Facebook, encourage your friends to do the same – and tag PETCO in your PET plastic bottle clean-up pics!
SOME OTHER CLEAN-UP EVENTS ON SATURDAY, 21 SEPTEMBER 2019…
- Helderberg Beach Clean-Up Place: Strand Marine Protected Area Time: 9am to 12pm Hosts: The Future Kids Club Helderberg Ocean Awareness Movement
- Fisantekraal Clean-Up Place: Fisantekraal, Greenville, Cape Town Time: 10am Hosts: Mosselbank River Conservation Team
- Durban Harbour Time: 11am to 2pm Hosts: Clean Durban Bay, WildoceansSA, Refilwe Mofokeng
- Bike & Bean, Durban Beachfront Time: 8am to 11am Hosts: The Litterboom Project
- Blue Lagoon, South Side Time: 8am to 11am Hosts: Safripol, #CleanBlueLagoon
- Umgeni River Mouth, South Side Time: 9am to 11am Hosts: KZN Beach Clean Up
Small actions create great change – together we can do it!