Whether you’re spending Valentine’s in the comfort of your home or venturing out – we’ve thought of everything, so you don’t have to.
Treat the special person in your life to an experience that’ll leave lasting memories.
Valentine’s night in…
Left Valentine’s to the last minute? No problem. This idea is foolproof, so if Eskom does decide to third-wheel it, you’ll be able to blow heart-shaped kisses its way.
Lover of pizza? Or your lover loves pizza? No problem-O! Plus Uber Eats can deliver (OMG!).
Delectable nibbles more your thing (we’re talking about food, here!) – then there’s something for you, too!
What you need:
- Coffee table
- Cutlery, plates and glasses
- Two big cushions or any cushion you can comfortably sit on
- Candles – more is definitely key, just be safe!
- A handful of rose petals for scattering
- Your favourite romantic soundtrack (make sure your Wi-fi speaker is fully charged)
What to buy:
Substitute any of the dinner/drinks items below according to your own taste. You’ll be able to find most of this last-minute at your nearest store. So, even if you get home late, your love will still love you.
- Dinner: Grab ready-made snack platters from your local supermarket; alternatively DIY by grabbing things like Melba toast, pre-packed hummus, pate and a tub of cherry tomatoes – those multi-coloured ones will add freshness and colour.
- Dessert: How about some Turkish Delight, nougat or dark chocolate? Mix them up and do some lighting-fast (but pretty) plating. You don’t want a shred of shop packaging in sight!
- Drinks: Make sure the bubbly, wine or juice goes into the fridge before you leave for work on Friday – and pick up an extra bag of ice on the way home just in case of load-shedding.
- Get dressed in an outfit you’d wear out to a restaurant – this goes for your partner too.
- Tell Bae to occupy him or herself for a half an hour while you do the necessary prepping.
- Set the table – plates, knives forks, glasses.
- Lay out the food – remember to ditch all packaging.
- Spread candles out in every corner of the room – feel free to go completely overboard.
- Light the candles, scatter rose petals all around and get those drinks out.
- Flip the light switch off and call your honey!
If heading out to celebrate is your thing, here’re some romantic options…
In Cape Town, the Table Mountain Cableway is offering a Sunset Special, which allows you half-price return tickets after 6pm every day until February 29.
Want to propose to your significant other while you’re on top of the world (well, almost)? Then while you are visiting the top of the mountain, you will also be able to view the Shimansky Table Mountain ring collection at the Shop at the Top.
For adrenaline junkies, there are even Valentine’s Day picnic flights!
Or if you’re Bloemfontein-bound, Stereo Café is offering ice cream and bubbly pairing.